Monday, June 4, 2012

Tool #10- Digital Citizenship

Three things that I think students should be proficient in regarding digital learning are copyright laws, safety in online collaboration and the appropriate use of educational technology.  When I grade essays or projects, I notice large amounts of plagiarism.  Students would literally copy and paste entire assignments.  I tried talking to them about the importance of citing sources and paraphrasing works of others.  I also shared with them bibme to help students in citing their resources. (I also set up limits on what could be quoted)   I think that online safety is especially important as "social networking" becomes more pervasive in our students' lives.  Students need to know how to act appropriately online as well as advocate for themselves if they become victimized.
If I were teaching my students about digital citizenship, I would use Atomic Learning's courses on "netiquette," "online harassment" and "avoiding plagiarism."  I would also plan mini-lessons for each of these videos early on in the year to allow students time to process and practice with these important topics.
As far as sharing this information with parents, I would send home a letter at the beginning of the year explaining what we are doing in class and then post updates on our class blog.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is important to teach these aspects of citizenship explicitly. There is so much potential here for assumicide, when our assumptions lead to outcomes we don't desire. This is particularly true when we confuse things that are intuitive with those things that must be taught explicitly.

    ReplyDelete